Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Happy Forever Family Day





Four years ago today I was sitting in the Directors office at the then named Nezabudka Babyhouse in Karaganda, my sister Linda holding the video camera....and me trying desperately to keep my stomach in check (nerves!). I really wish I could remember what was said but I was so excited and nervous.....I do remember someone saying that the "girl" and I resembled each other. Then I heard the words "we are bringing her down now", and then in walked someone with this tiny 13 pound 13 month child in green pants and a striped shirt, she looked so tiny and sooo scared. They handed her to me.....thank goodness I was sitting down.....she started to cry and someone said "do you have any toys?" so I handed her a giraffe rattle as I struggled to not sob myself. This was the moment I had waited for and envisioned for so very long, holding my baby girl! We sat there for a few more minutes and then we went upstairs to room 4 and I didn't want to put her down, I also didn't want to overwhelm her. Once on the floor she started to crawl around, poor kid I kept picking her up to hold her and kiss her, I wish I knew what she was thinking probably something like "who is this crazy woman and what is she saying I can't understand what she is saying, but I kinda like being held!"

Over the next few weeks we got to know each other, and we experienced many many firsts....I fed her, changed her diaper, took her outside...for the first few times outside I held her as it was so new to her and she was totally overwhelmed, she looked like she was in shock. Finally we graduated to the stroller and again the first couple of times she just sat there and did not move, by the end of the 2nd week she was leaning over the edge watching the wheels...something she is still fascinated with today!!!

While Ciera is still petite 30 pounds and 40.5 inches tall at 5 years, she has grown and blossomed so very much. While she was "late" to walk and talk, once she started she never stopped! Today she talks non-stop and moves non-stop, she LOVES ALL sports and complains "I NEVER get to exercise"....yeah right!! Her confidence in herself has just recently come out and it has been a great joy to watch this happen.

It's funny, I hear people say "Oh I love the baby stage the best" or "I love when they are independent", I'm finding I love every stage the best, whatever stage she is in I love it the best.

Ciera is (not that I'm at all biased!!) a great kid, she has a wicked sense of humour and comes out with some really funny lines and some very interesting questions...this morning she asked "how can Jesus hear us if he does not have a baby monitor?"!! But she is also a good kid, polite, empathetic, loving, caring...and I love her to pieces!!

I have no doubts at all that she was MEANT to be my daughter, and everything that happened in my life happened when it did for a reason........ so that Ciera could be my daughter.

I love you baby girl, I am so happy and proud to be your mom!!



2 comments:

Jason and Rebecca said...

Happy family day! Your daughter is just beautiful! I also have a beautiful girl from Nezabudka/Botakoz. We were there in 2007 and our daughter is now 6. I was wondering if you'd mind if I e-mailed you? My e-mail is damian425@yahoo.com - I can't find yours on your blog anywhere.
Thanks!
Rebecca

sue and craig said...

Wonderful post Diane! Ciera is even more beautiful today if that is possible. It is so wonderful that you have each other. We are hoping that things move quickly so you can bring home a brother or sister for Ciera!
Sue