Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Baby on the move

Thank you for your comments and support, it is greatly appreciated!!

 

To answer some questions:

 

  • Yes, I am calm about all this, I think part of it is having been exactly here before....I know the babyhouse, the routine, the people and the city and I am very comfortable here and with it all.  The other part might be the incredible stress of the 10 days prior to travel trying to pull it all together in 10 days, after that this is the easy part.  Part of it is also Ciera's easy transition into all this, she has amazed me with her acceptance of everything.  Oh and I am very pleased to report we have found some milk that is VERY close to North American taste so we both had HUGE glasses of milk with dinner last night!!!
  • I have not been given any medical info yet on Mr. Baby so I would like to at least have an assessment prior to officially proceeding

 

After we arrived at the baby house this morning, I was told that Mr. Baby was moving to room 4 today.  Ciera was quite excited as she was in room 4 when we met and she had been asking to see it.   Mr. Baby's crib is just in front of the one Ciera had been in, I thought it was the same one so I checked back on pictures and it's close but not quite!

 

There are different caregivers there now, however the ones there now are just as sweet as the others.   Mr. Baby was happy to see us again today and we were rewarded with lots of smiles and giggles, but when she is tired you know it…she gets cranky but really who doesn't!

 

The room has changed a bit since we were there last, new paint, a new mural on the wall and the little 8 x 10 room is now about a 4x4 room with 2 easy chairs and a small table so we hang out in the big room with the other babies.

 

There are 8 other babies in our room, that's not including Mr. Baby and a little boy who is bonding with his mom from Spain.   I know very little Spanish…ok none really except what I know from watching Dora and that won't get me far.  She knows a little bit of English so somehow we manage to communicate.  After lunch 5 of the babies were placed in walkers and it was a free for all, it was like baby bumper cars.  There were 2 little ones fascinated with Ciera and they kept wheeling over to see her and she would quickly move her stuff so they didn't run it over.  One little guy wheeled over and while I was talking to him he reached down and pulled the teething keys away from Mr. Baby and this little guy had quite the grip on them.  I have made a mental note when I come back for my second trip that I am going to bring a bunch of sets of these same teething keys as the babies seem to really love them.

 

Ciera has had some moments of regression and we have had a few talks about it, I keep reminding her that I still love her just as much and that I have enough love for 2 daughters.   Even though she will always be my baby she does not need to act like one, I know it's normal but there have been moments when it's irritating as all get out!!!

 

Last night in an effort to finally get into a normal sleeping pattern again I forced myself to stay up until **gasp** 10:30 (at home I am rarely asleep before midnight) and thought this would help me to sleep until at least 6:00.   So when I woke up and looked at the clock I was sadly surprised…it was 2:00AM….I fought it for an hour and gave up, came into the living room, turned on the light and read a book until 5:00 when I forced myself to lie down and I eventually fell back to sleep (on the couch).  When Ciera woke up at 7:45 somehow she knew where to find me! 

 

Ciera seems to be winning her cold battle, I'm pretty stuffed up today and moved into the Cold FX, I've never tried it before but I bought a big bottle to bring with me, I'll let you know how it works.  It seems that many of the babies have some type of chest congestion (including Mr. Baby) so it's inevitable that we will get something.

 

We are/were supposed to move to the other apartment today, the woman who looks after that apartment gave me the lowdown of everything there when we were there for lunch today.  When the woman who makes our dinners here just brought us ours she asked what we needed to have re-stocked, hmmm.   Not to mention that our driver did not say his usual "9:30 tomorrow" when we got out of the car …..so I will talk to my coordinator later this evening to see when we are moving.   If it's not tonight I need to know who is picking us up tomorrow!!   I have not unpacked as it made no sense to unpack to have to re-pack so I keep digging though bags looking for stuff….ah well.

 

That's it for now…paka paka!!

4 comments:

tac said...

Which Karaganda Babyhouse are you in?
We adopted our little girl last year from room 4 in the Botakoz babyhouse. If that is where you are, Please tell the caretakers that Grace (Zhanar) is thriving in NJ.


ENJOY your time in Karaganda!

Thanks
T

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you'll be staying in the apartment across from the orphanage. It will make your stay much easier and more fun. Nice that you are in room 4 now too. The ladies are so nice in there. Have you gone down to the playroom yet? (Irina can tell you about it.) Happy bonding!!
Colleen

MaryLisa Dincel, RHN said...

Happy bonding!! wow Room 4 - we were also in room 4... They actually changed the cribs to new ones while we were there so if they look a little different that's why! The old ones had wider bars. Can you please say hello to the caregivers in Room 4 for us and tell them that Darya (Dasha) Mironova is doing well in Canada. The caregivers we had were:
Nargiza
Jamal
Zina
Valya
Aigerim
Nadya
(so glad I got them to write the names down for me!) Are any of them still in room 4? Nargiza was my favourite (she spoke a bit of English). Please say hi to Irina (translator) too for us..

I hope you get into the other apartment soon. So glad that Ciera is handling it so well. Don't worry about the jet lag - it should be gone by the weekend. Oh and for the colds - but chopped up onions in your bedroom and living room... It's what they do in the orphanage and it worked for all of us too.... Yes it will stink but it clears up stuff!
Hope you feel better soon... Enjoy your little girls!!
all the best,
MaryLisa

sue and craig said...

Glad you are doing so well. We took Cold FX with us and it actually helped ALOT!!
Hope you are feeling well soon.
Love the updates!

Sue