Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's a small , small world

So we know about, I don't know, maybe 15 people total in Karaganda.  Last night we ran into one couple at City Mall, this afternoon we ran into (almost literally) another couple in Uym, then we were in another store and in walks our translator with her mom, then we were just putting a bag in the stroller to leave the Bazaar when I heard "Diane?", it was another mom and her sister, holy smokes.  Seriously, I know a ton of people in Brampton and it's very very rare that I run into anyone I know when I am out and about, so how cool is it that I run into people I know here.  It was funny to see the expression on the woman at the stall when I ran into the last people, it was like "who are these people??" she had a very bemused expression on her face.

 

We had a good day today, Mr. Baby was all smiles when I went in to get her up, we played in our room for awhile but it was so hot in there, with the heat on and the sun blazing through the windows, I told the caregivers that we were going downstairs to the main room.  There were 3 other families down there so it was baby time and it was nice to chat and see the other families.  Mr. Baby however cried when we first went downstairs, I guess in her head she was thinking...hmm the last couple of times I left that room it was not so great what ar they going to do to me now, but oncec I picked her up and cuddled her she was fine.    Yeah, another good sign of attachment!!!

 

As it is Sunday today we only have our morning visit, so Ciera and I hitched a ride with another family to get dropped off at the Children's Theatre for the puppet show.  We checked our coats, tucked away the stroller and paid our 150 tenge each to get in.  Ciera was hungry so I bought her a snack, some sort of meat in a bun, she said it was good, it smelt good, I however declind a bite.  What a cute little place this is.  We went into the room where the show is held and there are 4 large (taller than Ciera) beautiful puppets in a row, I took pictures but Ciera refused to stand with any of them.  We sat down and a few minutes later the show started.  I have no idea what was said but we got the general drift.  It was very cute up until the end when the lead male puppet came out with a shotgun to shoot either the fox or the round thing (I have no idea what it was) he didn't shoot him, but we'd never see that at home.  Ciera had to ask me what he was holding, I told her it was a stick.   I am sorry if I have now ruined the plot for anyone!  It was only ½ an hour, but after the show we went into the other room where they had some really old puppets and an old set that the kids can sit in and get their pictures taken, Ciera was uncooperative and you see the result in the picture!

 

We left there and headed downtown, just for something to do, we had lunch at Uym and wandered some more, then headed home through the park, it was another truly gourgeous day here, this may seem weird but the sky seems a different shade of blue here….more brilliant I think, thoughts?  We ate dinner and then sat on the couch to watch Ariel, as it turned out Ciera watched it, I fell asleep off and on throughout it.  I am totally tuckered today…..I think I will be asleep before 11:00, a rare thing in my life!

 

I just cried for Ciera, I went into my email and there was an email from hockey, their team and individual pictures will be taken this coming Saturday…..her first season to play and not only is she missing 3 to 4 "games", she will also miss out on her team picture. She has wanted to play hockey since she could talk, my heart is heavy and so sad for her, and I can't even tell her.

 

Pictures today:

-       an unhappy Ciera posing at the puppet show (I am so mean aren't I?!)

-       A wider shot of the puppet theatre area for the kids to pose in

-    One of the floor puppets (these were not in the show)

-       Mr. Baby enjoying her breakfast

-       The theatre (not the Children's one, the regular one)

o      As an aside there is also a Kazak theatre here now and I have asked Irina to look into shows that are there right now as I love to see a dance and/or a music show. Mental note to self…must get a picture of the Kazak Theatre.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Diane,

Calla missed her team picture last year. We notified them and they left a spot for her and when we returned we went and had Calla's photo taken and they photoshopped her in. you would never know she hadn't been there for the photo. It was fantastic.Hope this helps. We are loving the blog and photos.