Sunday, October 3, 2010

A taste of home

As today was Sunday we only had our one visit from 10:00-12:00 with Mr Baby.  She was still sleeping when we got there but woke up just after we stood by her crib, and then we were rewarded with a big smile!   The BH seems more relaxed on Sundays, the music was going, and one of the caretakers opened up the piano and held one of the babies so they could "play" some music.  Everyone just seemed so at ease today.  Ciera and I were the only family visiting today, as the other familes do not come on Sundays, it's perhaps a coordinator agreement to give the drivers the day off perhaps?  But in any event, it was quiet in that regards.  I've heard there are more families from my agency coming this week, so I'll have some Canuck company at the BH and for lunch as the other familes I'm assuming will come to our apt for lunch.  Guess I'll have to make sure to not leave my unmentionables on the clothes line!!! 
 
As we had the afternoon to ourselves, Ciera and I ate lunch and then headed across the park to downtown.  There were quite alot of people out and about today, it was overcast but still reasonably warm.   I wanted to check out City Mall, wow it was like walking into pretty much any upscale mall at home.  The 3rd floor is pretty much dedicated to kids, with an arcade (a la Chuckie Cheese), scary looking dressed up characters (from Russian fairy tales I think) wandering about and singing songs with the kids, a bunch of kids clothing and toy stores, a Baskin Robbins and a place called Mag & Dak (McDonalds like).  We started with Baskin Robbins, there were only 10 of the 32 flavours  but who cares!!  We each had a cone and then decided french fries were in order.   They were yummy, just like Mc'D's fries!!   I did a bit of shopping for me...hey I never get to do that at home, so I'm entitled, Ciera kept picking up clothes and dumping them on the stroller for me to try one....she has some odd tastes in clothes that girl! Did some damage at a great store called Calliope (according to the bag they are sort of worldwide). I may head back later this week for a much needed pair of pants....I'm having laundry issues...what I have might normally suffice but when you are getting spit up on at least once a day you really do prefer to wash those clothes before wearing them again.
 
Once we finished up there we headed back to Uym, to accomplish our original quest which was to find a couple of bibs and another pair or two of pants for the baby (when I got home I realized I should have picked up another couple of onesies too).  Laundry is taking longer than anticipated to dry (no dryer) so both Mr Baby and I run out of clothes faster than we can do laundry.
 
We bought some Karaganda items for ourselves and have started a small list of what to bring home.  When I was here for Ciera I bought 18 gifts for her, one to give her every year until she is 18 and I want to do the same for the baby...so just scouting out possibilites right now.
 
I'll leave you today with some pictures....I have no idea what order they will post in but I'm sure you can figure it out!
 
- "I'm king of the world", Ciera on the "ship" in the playground at the babyhouse
-Ciera enjoying her Baskin Robbins
-A bridge in the park with locks on it, I had not seen this before but I have heard of it, it's some thing to do with lovers putting their intials on the locks and locking them onto the bridge (why a bridge I don't know), I'm sure someone can enlighten us on it!  Can't break their love?
- A bubble thing in the "lake" in the park, people go in it and try to walk/roll it around in the water
 
 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Diane,

I love reading your blogs each day! Sounds like you are doing very well...especially with your rash now gone. Sorry to hear that Ciera is gettng bit so much by bugs!

Ciera seems to be transitioning so well as a big sister! How heart warming to hear how she doesn't want to leave her little sister at the end of each visit! Mr. Big sounds adorable. I am so happy for you!

Love the pictures too!
Carrie

Beth said...

The CIty Mall!! Oh we also enjoyed walking there...felt like home though the stores were pricy! We also liked the pizza place there!! YUM!!!! We went to the circus when we were there - Ciera might enjoy that. It was interesting....don't sit in the first row...maybe not the second either! :) Love hearing about Karaganda - fond memories as were there two years ago this month!

Hope your rash is going away and Ciera's bites!! ugh!!