Sunday, October 10, 2010

Send in the clowns....

Yes today we went to the circus!!!   I was not at all sure if it was still here, we went downtown to the circus building and there were a lot of people milling about and people selling balloon animals…..I tried to go inside but the doors appeared to be locked so we went back out.   We were just about to leave when the doors opened and a steady stream of people came out, I waited until the crowd died down and went inside to the doors and in doing charades with the girl at the door I determined there was another show at 4:00 and to get tickets I had to go outside,  to the left and downstairs.  We did just that and got our tickets, 2000 tenge (approx $12) each, not bad I thought.  As we had 1.5 hours on our hands we set off on our mission to find a charger for the DVD player.  Thanks Colleen for the tip but Technodom (sp?) did not have any and it was not for lack of trying.  I even tried to ask if they had any DVD players that would play North American DVD's, but that part I don't think the sales guy understood.  I tried a computer shop, they had nothing but suggested another place across the street, he wrote it down for me in Russian. By now we had run out of time and needed to head back to the circus.  We showed out tickets and got in but I had no idea where to go or where to leave the stroller.  I walked up to one lady at an entrance and showed her my ticket, she pointed upstairs…..I pointed to the stroller and raised my hands like "where?", she started to talk to me….I managed to get out "ya ne panamyyou….English" she got what I meant and motioned for me to follow her.  She tucked our stroller away and pointed to where we needed to go in, the next girl checked out tickets, but again I said "English" and she took us right to our seats.   It's a reasonably small building inside but it was great as you can see everything.  Pre show they were putting kids in harnesses and pulling them up on ropes and then letting the come down in little parachutes and you could also ride in the circle on a motorcycle with the clown, which of course Ciera wanted to do, to which of course I said no (I'm such a mean mom).   There was even a live band that played for the circus.  It was only just over an hour long but it was good, there was a trapeze artist (her act was to Phantom of the Opera), a man and a woman doing acrobatics on a bicycle,  a bunch of guys doing cool spinning things with what looked like steel tube squares, 3 people doing acrobatics while juggling (they were amazing), a large group of guys on what I can only describe as kangaroo legs (also doing acrobatics), a clown who did tricks with 3 different dogs, a woman doing contortion, and a couple doing tricks with monkeys.  I think that was it!!!  Ciera didn't say anything through the whole thing but when I asked her afterwards she said she liked it and then at bedtime that's all she talked about "why did the monkey have clothes on?" "how could they balance on the beam?"

 

After the circus we went to find the other store, which I did only by pure luck but we had no charger luck there….he suggested Uym, which I will ask my translator to come with me for as I think we might have better luck that way!

 

Mr. Baby was in fine form again today, as it was Sunday we were the only family visiting in our room so it was pretty quiet.  We got there right at 10:00 and it seemed the caregivers were running a bit behind as usually at 10:00 there are at least a couple of kiddies who have been fed, but today they were still getting the food ready.  I went in to get Mr. Baby up and what a chorus of crying was going on in there, holy smokes those kids know the schedule well…..it's like they were all saying "hey where is my breakfast?!"  Mr. Baby up until now has been the only baby in that room (and there are 10 of them) who does not have a runny gross nose, I'm hoping she continues this as it's not a pretty sight on any of them.  Ciera was entertaining one little girl today with bubbles, this little one was so shy even up to a week ago, you'd call her name while looking at her and she would hide her head in her arms, I think she is used to us now as she does not do that any longer.  There is one little guy who is so funny when the music is on, I liken him to Stevie Wonder as he rocks his head from side to side like Stevie does, and this little guy always has a huge smile on his face.  I saw Mr. Baby cry real tears today for the first time, twice.  Once when I took something away from her, and the second when I put her down for her nap.  I stood there stroking her cheek for a few minutes as she was just sobbing.  She fell over earlier (from a sitting position so it was not far) and bonked the back of her head and she started to cry and I picked her up fast and made a big deal over it, holding her and kissing her,  even though I knew she was not hurt.  She needs to start learning that I will be there for her and comfort her, no matter what!

 

Tonight with no DVD's Ciera and I played a rousing game of Chutes and Ladders (she beat me by a country mile) and then Candyland (I won this one and she was not happy about it "that's not fair".  Wow really?  I played more than fair, I even tried to let her catch up but to no avail…ah well as I said to her "sometimes you win sometimes you loose, but as long as you have fun" she didn't like that!)  

 

Todays pictures: (as a side note I do attach them in this order in my email but I have no idea if they post in this order in the blog, but I'm sure you can all figure it out)

 

- Ciera blowing bubbles for entertainment at the babyhouse

- Ciera and I in front of the fountain at the circus

- the circus building

- the ring at the circus (if you look at bottom left hand corner you can see the guys with the ropes and the little parachute things for the kids)

- Ciera in front of a "ramp", while there are more ramps here than before but they tend to be very very steep, I don't know how the women in heels manage them

No comments: