Monday, October 4, 2010

Today is brought to us by the letter "P"

This morning when we arrived at the BH, one of the caregivers tells Irina something who in turn tells me "Mr. Baby (ok she used her actual name!) has pink eye and you need to buy some cream at the pharmacy", oh yeah….I thought it was just a scratch on her inner eye lid…..ok we'll do that at lunch "oh and after lunch we will go to do the passport and immigration pictures".  So there are our letter "P" words for the day!  Yes I am a wee bit punchy today J

 

We had a good morning and Mr. Baby was in fine spirits today, she is starting to get on her hands and knees and rocks for a minute or so….a prelude to crawling and she loves to be on her feet and bouncing, I sometimes have a hard time getting her to sit when I need her to sit.   I totally forgot to take diapers and socks with me today, so I had to borrow diapers from M (the mom from Spain) and figured it was ok if Mr. Baby wore her socks for 2 days, it's not like she is wearing stinky shoes!!  Mr. Baby is also babbling now on and on and on….and laughing, although she cried her little heart out when I put her down for her 4:00 nap.   Her car ride, presumably her first in about 6 or 7 months, was uneventful.  We sat in the back, I had Mr. Baby on my lap one arm holding her tight and the other arm tightly around Ciera who sat next to me.  Mr. Baby was quiet and looked around at everything very solemnly but no tears or fear, although she spat up a little bit at the photographers, perhaps a bit of motion sickness?   First we stopped at the pharmacy for the pink eye medication, 375 tenge, less than $3 USD!!  At the photographers we paid our bill, about $10US for all the required photos.  The photographer was a nice fellow, it was a bit tricky to get the photo. I had to half sit on a tall bar-like stool with Mr. Baby balanced on one leg, I had to grasp onto her shirt in the back to keep her upright and then I had to lean back so that I was not in the photo, easy enough (but not overly comfy!).  However… she would not cooperate and kept sticking her tongue out or having her mouth open.  The photographer was very patient as were the few people waiting to go after us, and they kept looking in the door to see what she was doing and smiling.  It didn't help that every time she did a raspberry noise that Ciera would do it back to her hence inciting a raspberry conversation between the 2 of them.  Finally, after about 9 or 10 shots he figured he finally had one that would satisfy the requirements.  Seriously though are no passport or immigration officials parents of small children?  I get the rule of not having adults smile, etc but anyone under the age of lets say 18 months does not understand "ok, don't smile and keep your mouth closed", could they not relax the rules for anyone under age 2?  Are we terribly concerned about National Security in the diaper crowd?   In any event we got what we needed and left, Irina put us in a taxi to head back to the babyhouse on our own as she headed home.  She gave the driver the address, however as we passed the babyhouse I knew he didn't quite know where he was headed so with my amazing Russian language skills I said "nyet, nyet" and pointed backwards.  He turned the car around and as we approached it I said "da" and pointed to the right, amazingly he turned in on the correct driveway "spaciba" and we headed back inside.  I love how hand signals and charades are a universal language, it makes it so much simpler.

 

As Ciera and I headed to the playground this evening I realized that fall has arrived here.  The change in temperature from yesterday to today is quite drastic and as I stood at the playground I thought "should have brought scarves"…we have gloves and Ciera has a hat (but not nearly as stylish as the kids here wear) so gosh darn it we may have to shop again L. 

 

Jocelyne, I thought of you yesterday when we were at City Mall, there was a hat store…..I may venture in next time we are there and see if I can find a hat that actually does not look goofy on me, I am so not a hat person.

 

Todays pictures:

-I have no idea what this is, it's in the yogurt section but both Ciera and I are addicted to it, she loves the peach and I love the strawberry……it likely has about 8 millions calories in it, but I don't care…..I think I need to spend more time in the yogurt section at home to look for this (I hope we have it), I need to ask Irina to translate it for me, it is sooooo very good.

- Us goofing around, everyone thought that Mr Baby's jeans were so cute, 12 month size and they are cuffed up twice the length you see there!!!

 

Well that's our day in a nutshell, have a great day everyone….Ciera is asleep and I am headed for the couch…I'm on book #3, in 2 weeks…that is truly (really) exciting for me!!!  Trashy novels….such a guilty pleasure!!!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Wow, what a Perfectly wonderful day, besides the pink eye!
I love the photo of the three of you, I'm so looking forward to meeting Mr. Baby in person.
I love the idea of applying for photos, that sounds so positive and so end of the journey. I will have the image of you holding Mr. Baby and trying to get a neutral face for the photo.
Oh, and thanks for the photo of the yougurt, looks good.

Yannik Au Kazakhstan said...

Hi,Diane.

So manny fond memories o Kaz: hats, yogourt... and another favorite: the apple juice. Please have a glass for us... We had never tasted such sweet yummy apple juice...Still miss it! You're more adventurous than us for the pictures... we ended taken them ourselves since Annabelle would never had cooperated. Thankfully they worked out ;0)) I love the picture of the three of you...already a family.
Jocelyne and family

Jen said...

My out-of-practice first-year university Russian is pretty limited, but looking up your dairy product in the dictionary I was able to decipher that the last word is some variation on the word for cheese curd! Does it taste anything like cottage cheese?