Thursday, October 7, 2010

What do you mean it's not Wednesday today?!

I was chatting with Irina, our translator earlier today and said "so we have now been gone from home for 2 weeks, we left 2 weeks ago tonight on a Wednesday night" she replied….I think today is Thursday…WHAT?!  Oh no I've lost track of the days of the week already, this is not good, only 2 weeks in and I have no idea what day it is, and please don't ask me the date, I'd have to look at my phone to know that!

 

Speaking of phones, we finally got the cell working today (MaryLisa and Murat thank you!!), there was still credit on it, but as it had not been used for awhile it went dormant so all I had to do was put more credit on it.  For this we had to head downtown to the cell phone providers office, no one at the booths seemed to know what the issue was, oh well at least it works now and I feel better about having a working cell phone.  Especially now that I am going to have some Canadian company starting tomorrow!!  There is one family arriving tomorrow, actually possibly 2 and another one coming on Monday.  Thank goodness for internet chat groups and blogs.  The Kaz adoptive community in Canada is a really good one, we are still a relatively small group and we all connect really well.   In fact, the whole Kaz adoptive community as a whole world wide is pretty phenomenal, we all do try to help each other out how and where we can.  From bringing pictures back to Kazakhstan of kids who were adopted previously, trekking needed items ½ way around the world to someone you have never met (when your own suitcase is bulging, thank you so much!!!) and trekking items back home for someone who needs something from Kazakhstan.    We really are all connected and so many of these people have become like family to us, it's a very diverse group of people I would have never otherwise have had the great fortune of meeting.

 

After we left the cell phone office we headed to City Mall for Pizza!!!  Sadly Mario's Pizzeria is no longer (I was sad to hear this as Linda and I spent several lunch hours there 4 years ago and they had great pizza), we "made do" with the pizza at Assorti.  3 "small" pizza's, 1 liter of Sprite, a milk and the tip included was about $30US…..not as inexpensive as Mario's but it was good and we have leftovers!!!

 

Today was a gorgeous day, it felt a bit warmer than yesterday and the skies were cloud free and bright blue.   I am hoping it's the same tomorrow so we can head outside with the babies, one family was out today but by the time we found out about it, it was 3:30 and we'd have only ended up outside for 10 minutes once the babies were bundled up and we were dressed.  Mr. Baby is continuing her quest to crawling, more dragging of herself on the floor today, but today she also figured out that she needs to put one hand down on the floor before attempting to get down there, up until now she would just turn and clunk down she would tumble but today I saw her put her hand down and I was so proud!!  She is also attempting to get herself back into a sitting position from laying down, we are working on those abs and she is getting stronger.

 

This afternoon I was walking across the floor with her on my right hip and Ciera wanted up so I hefted Ciera up on my left hip, while it kinda balanced me (sort of!) the two of the together was a heft weight!!

 

 Before dinner Ciera and I headed to the grocery store for yogurt and diapers, I can't imagine what was going through the cashiers head as we checked out…..1 big bag of diapers and about 20 yogurts!!  But we are good for awhile now on yogurt.  On our way back we stopped at the playground of our apartment, there was a young woman there with a little boy and she heard me speaking English to Ciera, telling her to be careful of the little boy on the swings, so she spoke back to me in English.  Turns out she just got back after spending 4 years at the University of California and was in Toronto last January to visit (the little boy is her nephew).  She was very nice and I enjoyed chatting with her, I hope I run into her again as I did not have my phone with me, and don't know my number off the top of my head and she offered to show us around.  She did however tell me where it Indoor Aqualand is, but she was not sure if it was open, so that will be my next quest.

 

All in all a good Thursday!!!

 

Our pictures today are:

-       Ciera in her new Kaz finery!!!

-       Ciera and I in front of the coal miners statue

-       Mr Baby from behind as I was getting her dressed this morning, don't you just love those little legs!!!

3 comments:

Julian and Sara said...

Well, if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium. If it's Wednesday...er Thursday...this must be Kazakhstan.

So you have been sampling some of that Kazakh Cognac after all? :)

MaryLisa Dincel, RHN said...

Hi Diane,
so happy to read your blog everyday! I'm glad things are going well and glad you got the phone working! Have you tried the USB thing yet? or are you using Nursat? Hey I wanted to mention - that when we were in Kaz -Natasha told us that we should leave a note for anything we needed (ie.for food) that included the staples like milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs, fruit juice, bread, tea etc... The only thing we had to buy was 'snack stuff' ie. cookies,chips (yes we needed comfort food) I just thought I would mention to you since I hear you're spending a lot of money on yogurt! We stayed in Stepnoy so I guess the note was translated by Marina to their driver/cook.
Ah yes -forgetting what day it is....that happened to us often...it actually gets worse when you stop going to the baby house!
Good luck and can't wait to hear more about your adventures in Kaz!

take care!

sue and craig said...

I just LOVE those chubby legs. Sounds like you are having quite an adventure!
Take care and keep those pictures coming!!

Sue & Family