Monday, October 18, 2010

We went swimming.....

Seriously how many people do you know that can say they went swimming in Karaganda in October?!   As Ciera would say it was interesting.   Under a great deal of threat, Ciera being good today, getting boots for her, printing some pictures and me looking for boots we finally made it to the pool.  We left from Uym where we were doing our picture printing and my boot shopping.  As a side note we ended up getting the red pair from the store above the grocery store by the apartment for Ciera, I love them they are so cute (wish I could get a pair in my size!).  While she won't wear them for playing in snow, they will be great here and then at home for things like running errands and stuff like that.  But after 2 days of rain you need boots here, the puddles are small lakes and it's darn muddy everywhere.  Anyway, I had our stuff with us and we got in a taxi at Uym, I showed him the address and off we went.  We got there and there is actually a hotel attached to the Aquapark, the pool side did not look open but after miming swimming to the 2 guys outside smoking and them opening the door for us we went in.   We paid our tenge and I asked where we needed to go (I didn't want to accidentally go to the men's change room) and the woman left the desk and we followed her.  Once in the change room they hand you a lock and key and show you to a locker.   When we got changed I had to ask again how to get to the pool, the locker room attendant showed us and there were exactly 4 13/13 year old boys there and 2 people whom I assume were life guards, but one was reading so maybe not!  It's quite different from home, it's not very brightly lit but I imagine on a bright sunny day out it looks way different.  There are a bunch of different slides but the biggest difference was the water.  For anyone who has been here you know the water is not clear, so the pool water was a bit dark, it looked really odd at first but we got used to it.   We walked around the big pool trying to figure out how deep it was, we started down some steps but aside from the water being a bit cool it was quite deep.  We got out and I looked around, the man "lifeguard" called out and pointed to a round smaller pool and we went over and that was the kiddie pool (it's the first pool outside the women's change room) the water was much warmer and up to Ciera's waist.  We had paid for an hour, and about 15 minutes after we arrived the boys left so we were the only people in this large dimly lit pool area for the next 3o minutes, it was actually quite relaxing!!  The bonus after our swim was being able to stand up and take a shower!  Afterwards we went out and the woman that helped us initially was sitting with a friend and the security guard on the couch, I just looked at her and said "Taxi?", she motioned for us to sit on another couch and she called one for us.  As usual, the taxi called when he got there and out we went and came home.  It was a really nice break and Ciera really enjoyed it, the cost with a taxi both ways and swimming was just over $11, not a bad price to help keep Ciera happy!!  We will be going back for sure now that we know the routine there. 

 

Mr. Baby was up and in a walker when we arrived this morning, apparently the Dr was in early and wanted to check out her chest, I'm assuming it was no change as I was not told anything.   She was pretty hungry at both meals today, I tried the apple/pear juice with water and she only drank an ounce of it…..M is giving chamomile water to her son and he is drinking it, so she is going to bring me some to try.   Ciera attempted to feed Mr. Baby this morning, it was a bit of a mess and Mr. Baby was not impressed with her lack of speed with the spoon (too slow) but I praised her for her efforts!  Mr. Baby is doing very well with the army drag, she is really using her elbows now and can move along quite quickly, I did see her on her knees and hands rocking today so I think she is testing out a new way to crawl.  She made me laugh so hard this morning,  both M and I have "cell" phones for the kids and they play the same songs, this morning the same song went off on both phones at the same time and Mr. Baby started rocking from side to side like she was grooving away to the tune, I wish I had caught it on video!

 

My boot shopping did not end with me getting boots, but I have a couple pairs (not stilettos Sara!) in mind now.  I didn't have enough cash with me as I only took a bit more than I thought I'd need for swimming and pictures.  I will be heading back though, really nice tall leather boots for $100, fuzzy lining and a rubber sole for no ice slippage!! Lots of people out buying boots tonight so I guess the snow is coming soon.   I also saw another wool coat I loved, it was dark purple and black (sort of a tweed), it fit really nicely, it however is more than I wanted to spend, where are my shopping advisors when I need them J.  All 3 coats I have seen are "car" length and really well made, and are all so well fitted!!  Decisions, decisions.......

 

I had a great chat with my sister last night, she was at my house delivering cat food (how the cats managed to go through 2 big bags in 3 weeks I'll never know!) so we had arranged for her to call me….about and hour and a half later I said "I gotta go I don't want to see my next Bell bill!", but it was so great to talk to her and I didn't even cry!

 

Todays pictures:

-       Ciera's new red boots!

-       Mr. Baby and Ciera when we arrived this morning

-       Ciera and Mr. Baby 2 tired grumpy kids this afternoon

2 comments:

sue and craig said...

I LOVE those boots!! They are so adorable. Glad things are going well. Things sound like they are moving smoothly.

All the best,

Sue

Blackstone Cemetery said...

Now those are very cool boots. Any in Maggie's size - a bit too big to fit in your suitcase and I guess the shipping would be excessive - but very funky indeed!! Can't wait to see all your shopping finds. Very cute pictures of Ciera and Mr. Baby. The pool sounds good - I am sure that Ciera had a great time - we will have to make a swimming date for Ciera and Maggie when you get home. The Rooster group went to pumpkin fest on the weekend and Maggie went through the Vortex many many times - I only made it half way once and then was so dizzy I had to close my eyes! Hector is in full swing preparing for Halloween. I found Hector and Maggie in the garage on the weekend carving tombstones out of pink insulation. Oh so cute and disturbing at the same time! Hang in there - not too much longer!

Sandy