Sunday, October 17, 2010

We are the knights who say nee!!

Ok, maybe not quite but this afternoon/evening Ciera and I were knights, it was all Ciera's idea.  I did the cutting and she directed the design of our shields and swords  and then she did the gluing and the colouring.  Her's had Bolt and some clouds and a cross, mine had some swirls, no fair her's was cooler than mine! Ciera put on her helment which was her winter hat from home, a headband for her visor (all her ideas I might add) and the next thing I knew we were knights fighting off a fire breathing dragon!  We seemed to be karate/kung fu knights as there was a lot of saying "hiyah" and chopping and roundhouse kicks happening, and we galloped on our horses (all I needed was some coconut shells…..oh sheesh I'm loosing it to Monty Python tonight) but we had fun. It also took the better part of 2 hours so this also helped to pass the time on a rainy Sunday afternoon/evening.  We didn't get to the puppet show as we found out at 11:00 the only show today was at 12:30 and we were not prepared to go directly from the babyhouse, so hopefully next week we will find out the times of the show(s) earlier and then head out prepared in the morning.  

 

Ciera did sleep in her tent the whole night and I have to say it was the best nights sleep she has had here yet, she slept right until 9:00AM!  This afternoon she built a campfire (just like Auntie Dada, only ours had huge flames, I guess we had dry firewood!!!) with coloured paper and made paper sticks and we bought some marshmallow looking things at the grocery store (it seems to be just pure sweet sugar melted together, awfully sweet) and we "roasted" our marshmallows.   She, however, declined to sleep in her tent tonight.

 

Ciera seemed much better today, not sure what helped…the major talk last night, the good cry, the good nights sleep but she was much better behaved today, except for one brief moment in the grocery store.  We looked at some pictures from home on the laptop this afternoon and we were laughing over pictures of Dawson, Wonderland, the cats and we looked at pictures of her as a baby at the babyhouse.  I've not been sure up to now if looking at what she is missing will make her miss it more or not, but she did enjoy it (so did I) so I think I will do it more often.

 

We now know the address, the hours and the cost to the indoor pool (hmmmm… 300 tenge ($2.00) there vs. 6500 tenge ($50.00, yes you read that right) at the Cosmonaut…I'll go public thank you!).  In addition we were told today of a new large indoor play place (got the name of it too) so between those and the other places I also now know of and perhaps some bowling (as long as it's the small balls) we should be good for entertainment for the rest of our time here.  I just wish I knew of these places 2 weeks ago…ah well, live and learn.  I'll scan it all in once I get home and anyone who needs it is welcome to it, I have it written in Russian and English, it'll be the kids guide to Karaganda!

 

Mr. Baby greeted us with a huge smile this morning, and her cough was much more productive today.  She does not appear to be enjoying the water I am trying to give her, so this afternoon I bought some baby apple/pear juice that I will dilute with water and everyday add a little less juice, until she is down to just water, I do recall now that is what I did with Ciera also.  I also bought some baby lotion (I think!) as her skin on her legs seems a bit dry.  The young guy at the grocery store did not understand my miming.  I pointed to the shampoo and my hair, then I pointed to the lotion and then my arm…he smiled.  I got some adult lotion and pointed to myself while motioning rubbing my arm, then at the baby one and pointed to Ciera…he smiled.  It's a pretty darn small tube for body lotion so before I try it out on Mr. Baby I will try a bit on myself!  For all I know it's diaper cream…..hey I thought I read somewhere years ago that diaper cream was a good face lotion…maybe I should Google that first before trying it J.  I really think I need more sleep tonight!  Anyhow we only had one visit today as it's Sunday, so we tried to make the most of our 2 hours.  It was pretty hot in there again today and she was so sweaty, I had her socks off for pretty much the whole visit and in her short sleeved onesie and her pants.   Had to put socks and long sleeves on her before we left though, and she was tired so she didn't cry.  Poor little thing was rubbing her eyes at 11:30, I wonder if she is coughing a lot while she is sleeping and not getting enough sleep, she does seem like she has little baby dark circles under her eyes.  I hope she is all better soon, but despite her cough she is very happy,laughing, bouncing and babbling.  She watches everything Ciera does (ugh) and if I ask her where Ciera is she does seem to look around for her.  Similar with her toes, when her scosk are off I play with her toes while saying "toes...toes" then I ask her where her toes are and she grabs for them....now it might just be reflex but I like to think she knows what I'm saying Open-mouth smile

 

I have promised Ciera that if she is good tomorrow and if she is cooperative with boot shopping ("I don't like the boots here, why do I need boots?" "because it's going to rain a lot this week and there are knee deep puddles and mud everywhere") tomorrow afternoon, we will go swimming while we are downtown.  This should be an interesting experience….wish us luck!!!

 

Today's pictures:

-       Ciera roasting marshmallows at the campfire

-       A really cool pic of our campfire with the lights out, it almost looks real.

-       Ciera as a knight (note our coffee table covered in art/craft supplies!)

- Ciera and I as knights

No comments: